Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sad Day in Room 13!

I will always remember my first day/week of teaching in room 13. There were much tears, anxiety, curiousity, and enjoyment... much like my last day/week of teaching in room 13. Did I shed tears? Very much so. Was I anxious and curious about what will happen next in my life? Um...definitely. There was much enjoyment as well when I realized I had a whole week off to finish unpacking things in our new house.

Sad to say, I was "pink slipped" from the school district. When I received this so called pink slip, they kept telling us they could be calling us back. Considering the fact that Sean and I had just put an offer on a house, I couldn't sit around and wait to hear from the district. On top of that, other districts were letting people go at the same time. Did I want to compete with 500 other teachers who were in search for a teaching job? Hmm...let me think...NO!

Luckily, my really cool husband and I had a backup plan ready to go. For some reason, I had a feeling I was going to get let go. I am going to work with the hubby. Of course not the same position, but the same company and building.

My principal came to talk to me when he heard wind of this new job. I was advised to write a letter of resignation. I felt really good about taking this other job...don't know why, but I did. Long story short...
Wrote the letter,
turned it in,
teachers started to get called back,
found out I would have been one of them,
went through a few seconds of regret,
decided everything happens for a reason,
turned my head and didn't look back
This last week was a LONG week. Besides the fact that we moved from our apartment into a house, I had to pack up my classroom at the same time. You don't realize how much stuff you collect until you have to go through everything!
I was done packing everything and had to go meet with the principal to "check out". Then he asked me, "When you look back to your first year of teaching, what will you think about?" That's when the tears started going. Wow! I did not think I would cry that much. I didn't even cry when I found out I was losing my job. The next day was our staff breakfast/goodbye. I cried and cried.
I took my last few things out of my room, took a good look around, turned off the light, and went on my way.
University of Phoenix, get ready, cause I am coming on board.
One thing I have learned is that things really do happen for a reason. There is a reason why I was able to get another job so quickly and why that opportunity came. While I am still searching for the reasons, I know I'll look back years from know and realize how and why everything worked out.
Hopefully I can come back to teaching. I LOVE it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I will never forget the little stinkers that I got to teach everyday.
What's next on my list?
Going to get my masters. Am I excited? Nope. Will it be worth it? Yep.
Oh, and maybe we'll work on starting a family with little Ortega's...we'll see what the Lord has in store for us.

0 comments: