Saturday, August 28, 2010

Magnet Board and Princess Tiana Cake

I saw a magnet board tutorial online and decided that I HAD to try it. Not that I really needed a magnet board right by my refrigerator, but oh well!





The pictures aren't the best, but you get the idea. I made the first one for a co-worker for her birthday and since have gotten orders from other people at my work. Not my intention, but I might as well make a little money doing it! :) They are very easy to make and really didn't take that long.
Supplies:
  • sheet metal (I purchased a large sheet at Lowe's and cut it to the size I needed. Definitely wear gloves and get really really sharp scissors.)
  • Material of your choice
  • frame (I found a cheap frame at Walmart and spray painted it the color that I wanted.)

Directions:

  • Cut the metal to fit the frame. (Be careful! The metal is sharp when cut!)
  • Cover metal with fabric. Glue gun the sides of the fabric on the back of the metal to keep it in place.
  • Position in the frame and close the back. (If your frame doesn't have a back to it, just glue it into the frame)
  • Add any embellishments to the front, if wanted.

...And...there you go! It's really simple. Of course I had to make matching magnets, but I can post those later.






Last Saturday Maris's 4th birthday party. Of course, I didn't take any pictures, but it was a great turn out. We had her party at my house and, of course, the little princess got everything that she wanted. Including, her princess Tiana cake. A few weeks ago, she demanded a Hannah Montana cake that was pink. I was a little worried about making a Hannah Montana cake, but luckily she changed her mind. She wanted a Princess Tiana cake that was purple and blue. To mess around with her a little, I asked her if a purple Barney cake would be okay. She yelled, "NO!!! I...WANT...A...PRINCESS...TIANA...CAKE!" I learned my lesson: Never mess around with a serious 4 year old that knows exactly what she wants. I just told my sister that she better not change her mind because I had already purchased the Tiana cake topper online.



Nothing too fancy, but I was pleased with the results considering that I did this in less than one hour of decorating.



2 comments:

Amber said...

So cute Staci! I love love love the princess cake! Bailey would seriously die for it!

Alisa said...

Ok, this is all too much. Ridiculously cute--you need to open an etsy shop girl! Every time I see your cake pictures I am re-inspired to take a cake class!

PS-Yay for blog updates!!!